2012/02/29

Chocolatella De Vil




Sinfully simple chocolate chunks fit for baking or a late night snack!


I am a hopeless chocoholic (and unusually proud of it!). I've tried for decades now to scapegoat the supposedly female hormone we love to blame - estrogen - but it's come down to this: my wallet or my taste buds (Oh yes, it's that bad! :)) And yet, I find myself in a bit of dilemma: it's detrimental for those around me if I'm deprived of ample opportunities to indulge my chocolate tooth.

So in the best interest of the happiness of myself and others, not to mention my bank account, I committed myself to finding a more inexpensive fix. And amazingly, it seems one exists!

These chunks are great for those of you craving dark chocolate
(I mean dark DARK), and who might also be resistant or intolerant to, or just not a big fan of, sugar. In any case, I've tried to offer a substitution for sugar fiends, too. :)

Drop me a line & tell me what you think!

Oh! By the way, these don't have cocoa butter*, so be gentle when folding them into your favourite pastry batter. :)

*A look ahead: I'm working on a revision that's stable for more involved and complex uses! Till then...happy eating :)

HOMEMADE ULTRA DARK CHOCOLATE CHUNKS
Makes 6 oz, approximately 1 1/2 cups     Pin It

3 Tbsp grass-fed butter
3 Tbsp extra virgin coconut oil
1 1/3 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp powdered erythritol + 10-15 drops dark chocolate stevia extract
(optional) 1-2 tsp flavoured extract (some of my favourites are peppermint, coconut, cherry)


Substitutions
Alternative sweeteners: 7-9 Tbsp cane, palm, or coconut sugar


Melt the butter and coconut oil in a nonstick saucepan on very low heat. Remove from heat. Add the remaining ingredients and mix until smooth. Spread on a baking sheet lined with wax paper or aluminum foil. Feel free to make the slab of ‘melted chocolate’ any thickness you want.

Chill 2 hours to set (or stick it in the freezer for a few minutes). Cut into chunks..and enjoy!


Note: Once the flavour's set (give it a good few days), the chunks will bear just a hint of coconut. Mm!



Tip: If you’re keen on these looking like morsels (who isn't?), stream the melted mixture into a sandwich bag, cut a small hole in one of the corners, and pipe the chocolate out as drops onto a baking sheet. Simple!

No comments:

Post a Comment